Friday, August 29, 2008

Week 2 Mile Stones


This concludes the second week that Gia has been with us in the United States (third week with us as a family including ET). Some milestones that we've achieved in the past two weeks:

1. I went from not showering at all to approximately one shower per every three days.

2. Gia went from screaming in the carseat to loving the carseat.

3. We've been to McDonald's four times in two weeks. Considering we usually go to McDonald's four times a year, let's just say ol' Ronny boy is happy with us.

4. Quinn (our dog) was banned from the house the first week Gia was with us. The second week he joined us was a little rough---i.e., instantaneous, high-pitched screeching from Gia whenever Quinn came within four feet. As of Wednesday, they were able to share the same patch of earth without incident, and yesterday she actually petted him. "Pet" is a loose interpretation of sloppy slapping, but at least she's making an attempt to touch him. He on the other hand, has done pretty well---he has resisted any temptation to hump her and has only knocked her flat on her face twice.

5. She now looks forward to sitting in her high chair. Again---the high chair was initially met with resistance and the usual screaming, but she's starting to put two and two together. High chair equals food, food equals full belly, fully belly equals good, high chair equals good.
6. This week I was able to get her to eat a food other than pasta and bread...drum roll...she ate, I know, I know, she actually ate....MEAT. This tells you how far I've fallen. Our vegetarian household now welcomes any meat that could potentially be consumed by our toddler. Why? Because I'm desperate to get food sources of iron in her body. She doesn't like beans! What! Doesn't like beans? A staple vegetarian food...served in some form or fashion every night for the past 10 years and I can't get her to eat it. Grandma Stoebner is the meat-pimp, and Gia is the insatiable customer. Tomorrow night I will try preparing a different bean in a different fashion--I'm determined to tear down the bean wall. Gia---tear down your wall! (Think Ronald Reagan here).

7. Most importantly---this week Gia touched Rob. Oh yeah, we're headed for the big time. She touched him on the knee, then stroked his calves, then played with his hands, and tonight, she let him give her a hug. She enjoys playing with Rob, but is still wary of men. Basically this means I'm still the primary caregiver and lug her around quite a bit. But we worked on that this week also---I made her walk in the house (once she got over the fact that a dog walks here too), and now it seems like she wants me only 85% of the time (down from the 100+%).


As I have three weeks of parenting under my belt, I am now an expert and can give parenting advice FREELY. Feel free to contact me should you have any questions. I'll be sure to post a most important answer.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! The pictures of Rob and Gia are just SO CUTE!! Sounds like you had a great second week! Can't wait to hear more next week!!

Andrea Johnson said...

What a great post! I love the pictures of Gia - she is such a cutie! And it sounds like you are taking the parenting challenges in stride! Please keep the pictures and posts coming! Those of us that havn't seen her in person yet love to see the pictures!
Love,
Andrea J.

Unknown said...

Dear Rob and Tamara,

Great photos and posts about Gia! It sounds like she is doing well with the transition, all things considered. I know that she continues to benefit from the love and nurturing that you both give her. It was great to travel ET with you and we'll have to find a time to make our way north for a reunion.

With much love,
Mark