Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Thank You Party


Tonight Rob and I threw a party for the arrival of Gia. Call it a "last supper" of sorts to celebrate a new chapter in our lives, for in four days we leave for Ethiopia to meet our daughter for the first time and to bring her home. This party was mostly thrown to thank all of the people who have helped get us to this point. This has been a long journey--longer than expected, and we have many to thank.

Thank you to Amy Pittenger and Pat Gleason, Kris and Mike Finger, and Eric Holman for writing referral letters (twice) during our adoption process. Thank you to Jan Brosz, my second cousin, for coming to our house on several occasions at a moment's notice to notarize stacks of documents needed for, well, literally every step of the process. A HUGE thank you to our parents for the free labor they've provided all summer helping us to prepare for Gia's arrival. From chocolate cakes with mile-high fudge frosting to a closet full of clothes, from barbecued ribs to a new front door---the list is endless.

Thank you to my many friends who have passed on their children's gently-used toys, books, potty chairs, tricycles, rocking horse, mattress pads....(you get the idea). A special thanks to my girlfriends Adrienne and Keecha, for passing on their wisdom and experience as Black mothers of strong Black girls--I have learned much from you. Thank you also for setting up a beauty parlor any little girl would be proud of---hair clips, hair potions, ponytail holders, headbands; for passing on your favorites books and music.

Thanks in advance to my brother Jeff, who I'm sure will cheerfully donate countless hours of free babysitting. To my nephews who will no doubt likely school Gia in cars and tools, and to my sister-in-law Renee, who can cure any baby's sniffle.

Thank you also to my employer, General Mills, for allowing me 5 months of maternity leave, and to all my friends at work who are covering for me while I'm gone. I am so grateful (thank you, thank you, thank you).

Rob and I feel blessed to be starting a family with such a wealth of friends and family.

No comments: