Monday, November 24, 2008

Week 14 Naughty'n Nice

This week was particularly trying as Gia's is exerting more and more independence, says "no" to everything, and has strong opinions about what she wants. Thursday I had to say "no" to her at two different times during the day (well, more than that), and at one of those times she slapped me, and at the other, she bit me. I was pretty shocked that my sweet little girl would do this! She redeemed herself later in the day when I was getting my blood drawn at the doctor's office. She sat by me in the chair, leaned over to watch the technician poke the needle in my vein, and whispered, "Owie? Owie!". It was terribly sweet.

This is the week we also started transitioning to daycare. We went for two hours on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Friday was her first day alone. It was so horrible, leaving her at the daycare center, even though it was only for two hours. I was sure she was going to hate me for the rest of her life and it didn't help that I heard her crying for me all the way to the front door. But when we came back to pick her up, she didn't want to go home. So I guess it went okay. I still don't like it, but doing the transition slowly is better than doing it all at once. We are planning on sending her for six hours a week until I go back to work in January. That will be the real test--for all of us. Wish us well.

Happy Thanksgiving! It should go without saying that we are very grateful to all of the people who helped us on our journey to adopt Gia. She is a total doll and at times I still can't believe I get to be her mother. Thank you everyone, here in the U.S. and in Ethiopia.

No comments: